streams

streams

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Chariots and Horses

“Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.” (Ps. 20:7 NIV)

Chariots and horses must have been cutting-edge technology when they wrote this psalm. However, I don’t think anyone is trusting in chariots or horses anymore. These days, we are more likely to put our trust in science, medicine, computer technology, our investments, our educations, our careers, our country’s super-power status, etc. So a modern-day version of this Psalm would read:

Some trust in cutting-edge technology and empirical evidence, but we trust in the reputation of God.

Hmm…this is much harder to accept. When the PET scan shows that the cancer has metastasized, it’s difficult to trust God. When the economy crashes, taking your life savings, it’s difficult to trust God. When your child is paralyzed after a car accident, it is difficult to trust God. When your daughter has been raped and beaten, it is difficult to trust God.

I personally know people who have gone through these experiences. Most of them find it difficult to continue trusting in the Lord through these horrific trials.  However, once they make it through the darkest part of the valley, God seems to shine through the holes created by suffering.

“I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Rom. 15:13 NLT)
Trust leads to hope. Hope leads to peace and joy.

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand.
(-lyrics from song by Getty/Townend)

No comments:

Post a Comment