streams

streams

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Judgmental Criticism

I’m intolerant of intolerant people. I get upset when I hear derogatory comments about minorities, immigrants, or the underprivileged. I’m judgmental of anyone who has different standards than I do. I might not voice my opinions to them, but I think it. I roll my eyes when I see a middle-aged mother driving around in a Porsche that costs over $60K, or a guy who dates someone half his age. I shake my head when I hear parents talk about how they are too busy to take care of their young children. I look askance at the girl who sits in front of me at church, showing off her ‘tramp stamp’. I frown at those who go into major consumer debt. I disapprove of those who drink too much, eat too much, spend too much, waste their time, pollute the environment, or neglect their health.

It’s not like I’M intolerant or something! Okay…maybe just a little bit.

I’ve always had strong opinions and standards that I live by, but when did I start holding other people to these standards?

“Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. It takes one to know one. Judgmental criticism of others is a well-known way of escaping detection in your own crimes and misdemeanors. But God isn’t so easily diverted. He sees right through all such smoke screens and holds you to what you’ve done.” (Rom. 2:1 MSG)

Oh, that’s just great!!

Am I just trying to distract God, myself, and others from my own flaws by focusing on the faults of others? What are my own crimes and misdemeanors? Where have I fallen short of God’s standards?

I’m too embarrassed to write it all down here for everyone to read. Suffice it to say, the list is long. Making the list is enlightening though. I realize how I fall short of God’s standards in so many ways, yet shrug it off as no big deal.

“I have a special word of caution for you who are sure that you have it all together yourselves and, because you know God’s revealed Word inside and out, feel qualified to guide others through their blind alleys and dark nights and confused emotions to God. While you are guiding others, who is going to guide you?” (Rom. 2:17-24 MSG)

God has many resources that He uses to get my attention when I get off track. He speaks through the Scriptures, daily experiences, my friends, good books, songs, and nature. I just have to be tuned in and not get distracted by self-created smoke screens of judgmental criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment