streams

streams

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Famous Relatives

What if you suddenly discovered that you were related to someone you truly admire? Would you try to live differently, knowing that you shared the genes of this famous, accomplished, talented person? I know I would. If I found out that I was related to Mother Teresa, C.S. Lewis, or Gandhi, I would try to live up to a higher standard. I wouldn’t want to be considered the slacker relative of these paragons. I would approach my choices with more confidence, knowing that I came from such exemplary stock.

What if you found out that you were adopted and your real brother is…Jesus?

“You have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, "Abba, Father." (Romans 8:15 NLT)

We have the same Father as Jesus. We are brothers and sisters of Christ. We share the same Spirit.

This knowledge should wipe out any insecurity which may hold us back from living up to our lineage. Our inheritance includes certain God-given rights. We are at liberty to speak up for the oppressed, to care for the downtrodden, to reach out to the distressed, yet remain undefiled. Our legacy enables us to be bold.

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” (2 Tim. 1:7 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment