streams

streams

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Art Appreciation

I took a music/art appreciation class in college which taught me how to distinguish between a Manet and a Monet. After taking this class, I could use artsy terms to pass myself off as a cultured individual. However, I don’t think my capacity to appreciate classical music or modern art increased significantly.

My teenage son thinks a certain musician is the greatest. Needless to say, the whole family is regularly exposed to this musician’s work, as well as to a steady commentary about his exceptional attributes. No matter how often I listen to this kind of music, it just sounds like noise to my ears. I must not have what it takes to appreciate this guy and his music. Most likely, I never will, because I don’t care enough about this kind of music.

I think one of my favorite authors is a genius. My son disagrees and says this author is overrated. What!?I have suggested that he spend some more time reading this author’s work before he makes up his mind. Maybe my son doesn’t have what it takes to appreciate this wonderful writer…and maybe he never will.

Just as we may have certain innate predilections for music, art, or math —I wonder if we are predisposed to have different spiritual aptitude levels. Maybe some of us will always remain in a semi-conscious state of faith. Even if we try to cultivate cognizance and acquire understanding, we may never be able to develop keen insights like Kierkegaard or C.S. Lewis. Some of us may never have what it takes to truly appreciate a certain wonderful Artist.  

No comments:

Post a Comment