streams

streams

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Solar-Powered

I think I might be solar-powered. I have so much more energy between sunrise and sunset. Unlike a solar-powered calculator, I don’t work well under artificial light. I need real sunshine. You would think I would prefer living closer to the equator where there is more year-round daylight. But if it’s too hot to go outside, then I can’t recharge. I don’t crave warmth as much as I do light. And on beautiful, sun-lit days, I can’t get enough of the outdoors.

While researching the subject of solar energy, I came across the curious concept of ‘right to light’ laws:

“For at least two thousand years, people have attempted to assign solar rights in a fair and efficient manner. Ancient Romans protected the right to solar heat and light through prescriptive easements, government allocations, and court decrees. Ancient Greeks protected solar rights through rigid land planning schemes that oriented streets and buildings to take advantage of light and passive solar heat. More recent rules − such as the so-called “ancient lights” rule established in medieval England or the permit system currently used by Japan − have continued to refine the concept of solar rights. Each regime has recognized that sunlight, in reaching any one parcel, may travel across multiple parcels, and its route may vary throughout the day and from day to day. By necessity, then, the creation of solar rights implicates the rights of neighbors, both immediate and further afield.” http://128.197.26.4/law/central/jd/organizations/journals/bulr/documents/BRONIN.pdf

Many ancient cultures, knowing the value of natural light, made laws protecting people’s right to light. You were not allowed to build your house in front of someone’s window, blocking their light.

In my search for illumination, I sometimes, unintentionally, block other people’s light. Writing and talking out loud enable me to process my thoughts. However, if in my pursuit of personal development, I hinder another person’s growth—then I’ve blocked their light. I have a right to build high-reaching towers on the space that I own, but not at the expense of others. My desire for enlightenment must not impede anyone else’s edification.

No comments:

Post a Comment