streams

streams

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Complex Pleasures

They say that simple pleasures are always the best. Then why do most of us chase after the complicated pleasures of life? A home cooked meal of a few ingredients, walking the dog around your neighborhood, watching the birds at your birdfeeder, clean sheets on your bed, a hot shower, the scent of earth after a good rain, picking a tomato off a vine, singing to yourself, reading a good book, laughing with friends, watching your child eat, hugging your spouse…all score high on the pleasure scale. Yet, those who prefer these delights over more elaborate pursuits are deemed unsophisticated. Instead, those who travel to exotic locations, acquire possessions that nobody else has, dine at expensive, gourmet restaurants, and engage in activities that are limited to the privileged are held in much higher esteem. Exclusivity is mistakenly perceived as a magnifier of happiness. New experiences and sensations are valued over anything that seems commonplace. 

I have had the opportunity to experience both sides of the spectrum. I have traveled more than the average person. Seeing the great wonders of the world can be inspiring. Tasting native cuisines from different cultures can be intriguing. However, sitting down to dinner with my family on a daily basis enriches the quality of my life much more than any of these experiences.

Extravagant pleasures are more likely to leave you feeling restless and discontent, while simple tastes and uncomplicated desires lead to lasting fulfillment. The ability to find contentment in your daily routine is much more gratifying than the never-ending search for exciting experiences. In my experience, satisfaction is most often found close to home.

4 comments:

  1. Because of your life experiences with both the extravagant AND simple, I find this insight bearing much credibility. Thank you for reminding me to rest in the contentment of daily routines. But it's still difficult to watch the outside happenings and not be tempted to think that I'm missing out. Perhaps that's why I have been blessed with a friend such as yourself - to live vicariously through your experiences! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SueZq, thanks for the feedback. I don't think you are missing anything. In fact, I think you notice so many things that I take for granted, and you are willing to share your experience with others. You have inspired so many of the posts on this blog. I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the key is to find contentment in one's everyday life, but occasionally venture out to find new experiences which may also be enriching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BXP, thanks for the comment. I think enriching new experiences can be simple and found locally...don't you?

    ReplyDelete