streams

streams

Friday, August 9, 2013

Providential Encounters

Sometimes, God makes such subtle moves that I almost miss them. The other day, I was having coffee with two good friends when a young woman, who went to school with our now grown children, walked past us. After a few polite pleasantries, she went and sat by herself to eat and read.

For the past few months, we had been discussing how to encourage and support young women pursuing their higher education. We all looked at each other, recognizing that her appearance at that restaurant might have been divinely-scheduled. We decided to ask her to join us ‘old ladies’ and tell us about her future plans and current schedule. She graciously came over to our table and chatted with us about her college classes, part-time job, hopes, and dreams.

There have been several such providential encounters that have changed the trajectory of my life: The chance meeting with the man who would one day become my husband; running into strangers who would later become my good friends and mentors; listening to a radio report which then led to 12 years of homeschooling; the completely random phone call that brought our dog to us and the cherished relationship with the family that gave her to us.

There have also been some detrimental encounters that have led to bad choices, mistakes, and pain. And I have missed several divine appointments because of self-absorption.

Prior experience has taught me to keep my senses tuned in. Every time I cross paths with someone, I treat it like I’m approaching a junction. I look both ways—up to Heaven and down to Earth. I ask God for directions on how to proceed.

No comments:

Post a Comment