streams

streams

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Clean Living

My son’s preschool teacher, Miss G, had more energy than most people half her age. Her skin glowed, her eyes twinkled, and joy flowed out of her and onto everyone that came in contact with her. I remember asking her:

“Miss G, what is your secret? How do you always stay so chipper?”

She would answer with her usual beaming smile: “Always doing the right thing…clean living wins again.”

Needless to say, I suspected that she was withholding some secret “herbal” stash from me.

Now that I am older, I realize that Miss G was onto something. Clean living--or a non-toxic lifestyle—might be the fountain of beauty, energy, and happiness.

Most of us know what is right and good and non-toxic. In most instances we have a choice whether we immerse ourselves in a clean environment, but sometimes we don’t. We can choose healthful habits, positive friends, inspiring books, and pure spaces. However, some of us are trapped in polluted cities, forced to spend our day with profane coworkers, and then go home to malignant relatives.

When I worked in a clinical lab, we were required to wear protective gear while working with toxic substances. I wonder if there are similar ways to safeguard ourselves in emotionally toxic situations.

Over the years, I’ve discovered a few protective practices that help me: Prayer, removing myself from the situation as often as I can, going for a walk outside, talking to a friend, writing, getting enough sleep, eating healthily, staying aware…

I’ve also realized how very few things we do have control over. I no longer take these for granted. Not every choice I make is healthy, but whenever I do something that is good for me, it fills the space that something harmful could have filled. When I eat an apple, it might prevent me from eating one more candy bar. If I go for a run, it might replace 30 minutes of surfing the internet. If I call a friend, it might supplant stewing over my own fears and anxieties.  

If I have the option of making a good choice, to surround myself with affirming, supportive people, and to be in a peaceful environment, then I won’t let that opportunity pass me by. I seize every chance to commune with nature, converse with good friends, and immerse in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment