streams

streams

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Spiritual Maturity

Sometimes, I wish I could rewind and hit the pause button--back to when my son was four years old. Back then, I could easily comfort him with a batch of cookies and a hug. I could go everywhere with him and watch over him. I could answer most of his questions, give structure to his life, and guide him through many of his daily hurdles. Yet, I would not want my son to be a child forever.

I might wish for him to feel cozy and comfy--but I don’t want him to be stagnant. As any loving parent, I want him to grow to his full potential. Facing external pressures and dealing with internal struggles are essential to development.

Similarly, God  is  concerned about our comfort, but not at the expense of growth. As any loving parent, He wants us to grow to our full  potential. This involves letting us face the pressures of life. We keep wondering why God allows suffering. Why doesn’t he protect us, shield us from all these troubles? Stress and struggle are integral to growth.  God’s desire to have a mature spiritual relationship with us is greater than His desire for us to have a comfortable life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment