streams

streams

Friday, September 19, 2014

Spiritual Numbness

When I was young, I had a severe case of self-itis. Self-itis is an inflammation of one’s ego which leads to a self-centered, self-serving attitude. I was too wrapped up in my own self-interests to see or feel anything beyond myself. Later on, I became a bit more tuned in to others--especially to how these others perceived ME! This  ‘other-centeredness’ was just a more humanitarian form of self-itis--seeking legitimacy from the world by helping others, doing good, contributing to society, being responsible, taking care of my family, etc.

“Fed up with their...self-centered ways, God blurred their eyes and dulled their ears, Shut them in on themselves in a hall of mirrors, and they’re there to this day.” (Rom. 11:7-10 MSG)

Self-itis leads to spiritual numbness--a dulling of our receptivity to God. The more we are tuned-in to ourselves or worldly approval, the less we are able to focus on anything beyond this earthly ‘hall of mirrors’ full of distortions and confusion.
“The chosen ones were those who let God pursue his interest in them, and as a result received His stamp of legitimacy.”(Rom. 11:7-10 MSG)

How do I let God pursue His interest in me?

No comments:

Post a Comment