streams

streams

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Cluttered Faith

My home has a storage area in the basement. Whenever we don’t know where to put something, or we are reluctant to part with it, or we just don’t want to deal with it, we usually stick it in this storage room. It has become a hassle to find anything in all the clutter.  

Clutter causes confusion and chaos. It buries the essential under a heap of nonessentials.

My faith has become cluttered. I inherited some of my beliefs. As I passed through different phases, I added more to the pile. Yet, I rarely got rid of anything, even if I outgrew it. My faith is now a messy amalgam of dogma, doctrine, tradition, superstition, popular opinion, and habitual practice.

Every so often, my husband and I clean out the storage room. We drag out all the boxes and get rid of what is no longer important to us. I wish I could do the same with my faith. I wish I could sort through my accumulated beliefs and decide what to keep and what to discard.

If your faith is confusing, chaotic, and burdensome, it might be time for a cleanup. This will take some dedication, effort, and sincere evaluation.  Periodically decluttering  your beliefs is important, because it enables you to separate the essential from the inessential.  



2 comments:

  1. May you find answers to your faith and know in your heart that The Universe with all its different religions is not out to confuse you, but to educate you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just need to sort through the clutter and just hang on to Truth!

    ReplyDelete