streams

streams

Monday, June 8, 2015

Nature-Bending

"I am (El Shaddai) God Almighty. Live in constant awareness that I'm always with you.” (Genesis 17:1 ISV)

According to the Pulpit Commentary, El Shaddai is "the God who compels nature to do what is contrary to itself, and subdues it to bow and minister to grace." (Delitzsch)

Have you encountered this nature-bending God? I have. Over and over, I have witnessed people who were compelled to break out of their habitual states of addiction, immorality, and self-indulgence and submit to grace. Yet, I easily forget this. Every time I encounter a situation where the natural state of things is contrary to my wishes, I become overwhelmed and agitated. I fail to remember all the times that God has bent nature to do what is contrary to itself, transforming hopeless, broken individuals in supernatural ways.

God’s ways and timing are unpredictable. The long waiting periods can be demoralizing and discouraging. It is natural to become frustrated at the delay instead of looking forward with confident expectation. Here, too, we need El Shaddai--the nature-bending God--to prod us out of our habitual lack of trust, and subsequent desire to be in control. When we live in constant awareness that God is always with us, we are wrapped in his intimate presence and comfort.  This allows us to move forward, even when we don’t know any details of the travel plan God has for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment