streams

streams

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Seeking Wisdom

“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you.” (James 1:5 NLT)

Could it really be that simple? Ask for wisdom, and you receive it? Well, I’ve been asking for a while--for myself and for my loved ones--still waiting!

“But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.” (James 1:6-8 NLT)

I try to keep my options open--searching for worldly solutions on my own, while, at the same time, asking for God’s help. It’s like when I am at the check-out at the grocery store--even though I have my cart in one line, I keep my eyes open in case a faster line opens up somewhere nearby. Similarly, even though I want God to intervene, if I can find my own solution faster, I go for it.

It seems that wisdom comes as a package deal along with trials and challenges. And, in order to receive it, we must show proof of complete dedication and unwavering devotion to God. Wisdom is not intended to make our life smoother, or to help us avoid problems; instead, it keeps us in oneness with God as we face afflictions boldly, confident that God is all we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment