streams

streams

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Ungrounded Faith

“Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.” (Ephesians 3:17 NLT)

A few years ago, I dug up some hosta plants from behind the garage. I was planning to transplant them on the other side of the house. Since I was busy, I just placed the plants on top of the soil instead of taking the time to dig holes for them. I never got around to planting them properly. They survived for weeks on just the soil that clung to their roots, but eventually they dried out and died.

Ungrounded faith is a lot like a hosta that is not planted properly. It is often based on vague, fuzzy feelings. It is unrooted, superficial, and short-lived. It may help us to hang on temporarily, but it is only a matter of time before it withers and dies. Deep-rooted faith, on the other hand, is stable and assured. It is entrenched in Christ. It draws its nourishment from God’s love. Thus, it grows and flourishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment