streams

streams

Monday, December 14, 2015

Bible Study

“I do not whisper obscurities in some dark corner. I would not have told the people of Israel to seek me if I could not be found. I, the LORD, speak only what is true and declare only what is right.” (Isaiah 45:19 NLT)

I have been studying the Bible for over 25 years now. When I was in college, I took classes in the Old Testament and New Testament. We memorized names and dates, analyzed the historical validity of events mentioned in the texts, and sorted through the discrepancies in the narratives. In later years, I learned to study the Bible more intimately. I realized that the facts and figures are not really useful to me right now. These days, I read small sections until I come to a phrase or sentence that resonates with me. I stop and roll it around in my mind. I write down the verse. I ask God: What do you want me to get from this?

Then, I wait...

I write down anything that comes to my mind--random words, phrases, thoughts. They don’t have to be connected or cohesive. I doodle little pictures of what I can’t express in words. Sometimes I read a few biblical commentaries online. After a while, I get up and go about my daily chores, but I keep ruminating on these concepts. I often go back to the same verse the next day until I feel like I’ve gotten everything I need to get out of it at this point in my life.

God wants to be known. He does not hide his thoughts from us. Yet, like in all good relationships, there is an investment of time and effort. God shall reveal truth to those who seek Him sincerely.

No comments:

Post a Comment