streams

streams

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Purple Heart

My dear friend, Sandy Rolling, passed away early this morning. Sandy made such a huge impact on my life, and now there will be a huge hole in that spot. I’m sure that she left an impression on everyone else who knew her as well. Most of us hope to make a positive difference in this world. Well, Sandy definitely accomplished that.

I met Sandy in 2008, when she gave us our beloved dog, Sydney. Over the next few years, Sandy and her husband, Mike, became part of our extended family. Sandy taught me about dogs and people. She had a gentle and graceful way of handling both animals and humans. She exuded kindness. She modeled patience. She spread joy. I knew she was a cancer survivor. She had been in remission for almost five years by then. She was so energetic and full of life that I couldn’t imagine anything diminishing her vibrancy.

Then, in 2011, the dreaded cancer came back. Sandy approached it with her characteristic courage and optimism. Over the next few years, she taught me about love, faith, trust, hope, suffering, strength, and endurance. I was always amazed by her positive energy, even in the most dire circumstances. She rarely complained or wallowed in self-pity. She constantly reminded me to trust God, to practice faith, and to hope unwaveringly.

I know the Purple Heart medal is given to soldiers who are wounded or killed in battle. If any civilian deserves a purple heart, it would be Sandy. She battled cancer with courage and endurance, unwilling to quit fighting until the very end.  Sandy was like a brilliant purple flower with a golden heart. She taught us about strength and faith. She accepted everything with humility and grace. She continually expressed God’s glory and love to all of us.

Sandy, I’m glad your pain and suffering is finally over.  Yet, I will still miss you terribly. I shall keep reminding myself of all that you have taught me and find peace in knowing that you are now rejoicing with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment