streams

streams

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Goal

(continued from previous post)

“The Father is the goal and purpose of my life.” (John 14:28 MSG)

In order to reach our goals, we have to climb the ladder one step at a time. We push off from the last rung and pull ourselves up to the next rung. We stretch and strain, using all our abilities to move up. We cannot skip any steps. Each step takes us a bit further from the stability of the ground. The higher we are, the more precarious our position. We keep our eyes forward, trying not to look down too much. But what if after we get to the top, we discover we are not where we should be?

“People may spend their whole lives climbing the ladder of success only to find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall.” (Thomas Merton)

For the first few decades of my life, I leaned my ladder up against wrong walls. Each time I realized my mistake, I climbed down humbly. I have rearranged my ladder, readjusted my priorities, and reevaluated my direction several times over the years. I know now that God is meant to be the goal and purpose of my life. However, I am not yet at the point where I single-mindedly pursue God. Instead, I find myself regularly distracted by desires for worldly validation, security, and comfort. My fondness for these things weighs me down,  lowers my concentration, and often causes me to lose my balance. Yet, I press on--relying on grace to help me move forward to the utmost goal.

1 comment:

  1. You sound like a pure human learning the lessons of life to me. As long as you are willing to press on, you will find your peace of mind and security was there all along clouded by personal judgements/opinions...aka EGO, which isn't a bad thing unless you let it steal your life to have to have more and more. It has been inside of you all along and lead by God and Jesus and their teachings for us to learn.

    ReplyDelete