streams

streams

Monday, December 28, 2015

Negative Space

“Since everything God created is good, we should not reject any of it but receive it with thanks.” (1 Timothy 4:4 NLT)


In artistic compositions, negative space is the empty space around an object. It defines the borders of positive space and draws attention to it. For example, a single flower on a white surface catches one’s attention. However, if the surface is cluttered with lots of different things, it is hard to appreciate the flower.


When I pray, I often focus on what I’m lacking. I rarely appreciate these negative spaces. I forget that these gaps define and draw attention to the positive things in life. When I am sick, I am able to cherish the days when I am healthy. When I am hungry, lonely, distressed, tired, or sad, I am able to give thanks for the times I am not. When I get depressed about all that is wrong with this world, I am able to acknowledge all that is right with this world. I am grateful for the negatives, because they call attention to the blessings. My emptiness, my areas of deficiency, my vulnerability--all draw me closer to God. I realize how dependent I am, how needy I am.

Lord, my insufficiencies merely serve to highlight Your sufficiency. Thank You for taking care of my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment