streams

streams

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Post-Traumatic Ministry

“Then the devil left him, and behold, angels came and were ministering to him.” (Matthew 4:11 ESV)

Yesterday  on my way to church, I saw a homeless guy standing on the street corner holding a sign that said he was a veteran soldier. He had two prosthetic legs. I saw two well-groomed guys walking up to the homeless guy and speaking to him in a friendly manner. It was obvious that these two were not homeless by their clothes and mannerisms. One of them had a military-issued, camouflage backpack, so I’m assuming the two newcomers were also soldiers at some time. It looked like they were trying to help the homeless veteran. The whole scene touched me, and it got me thinking...

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is most often associated with soldiers. Military combat can scar a person’s psyche long after the battle is over. After a traumatic experience, it is natural to feel stuck in hopelessness and helplessness. However, soldiers are not the only ones who go through PTSD. All of us experience periods of tribulation and trial. How can we minister to each other during and after spiritual battles?

When I have gone through times of suffering, God has sent me angels in the form of friends. Mostly they just listen. Sometimes they whisper: “me too...I’ve gone through that too.” I’m deeply comforted to know I am not alone. They continue to check up on me. Their consistent support makes me feel like I am not forgotten. They cheer me on as I take each step forward. They console me when I relapse back into despondency. They encourage me to keep moving and not get stuck in negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment