streams

streams

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Hollow Philosophies

“See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.” (Colossians 2:8 NIV)


I got a new coffee cup that was hand-painted in cheerful colors. It’s very pretty, but it has a hollow handle. I microwaved some water in it recently. When I reached for the handle, I burned my fingers. Unfortunately, this is not the first time that I have been burned by attractive, yet hollow, things.


Religious communities often promote conformity to shallow interpretations that are appealing to the masses. Congregations of like-minded people get together to reinforce current societal values and human traditions. They  get mesmerized by these hollow philosophies which prevent them from truly seeking Christ. Although these social clubs can be comforting and enriching during normal times, the superficial faith that they peddle can become a liability in times of great crises.


For years, I followed the teachings of the church without question. It was my primary social group, and I enjoyed the sense of belonging it provided. It provided quick answers to my moral dilemmas and gave order to my thoughts. However, when my questions got intricate and passionate, I was left with feelings of emptiness, pain, and confusion. I realized I needed more. These days, I seek out time alone with Christ. I reach out to Him in good days and bad. Sometimes I talk to Him; other times I just sit silently and listen. I express my thoughts and ask questions. His answers are never hollow, yet they require devotion, discipline, and discernment.


Jesus, I belong to you
Help me not to be lured by assurances of inclusion
Nor get caught up in hollow philosophies
Instead, let me come close to You
And experience Your fullness.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy you have discovered that your relationship with our Lord is between you and Him and not between what everyone else wants you to believe.

    Scriptures are meant to guide us. Religion is meant to conform us. Spirituality is within us and our relationship with our soul. Our spirit and our soul is what we believe will have everlasting life, not hollow philosophies.

    ReplyDelete