streams

streams

Friday, September 8, 2017

Encouraging Each Other

“Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.” (Ephesians 6:18 MSG)

In the last few months, I have started running with a group in town. As one of the slowest members, I struggle to keep up. At first, this was disconcerting; I came home after each run, physically exhausted and mentally deflated. The critical voices in my head kept reminding me of my limitations. However, the rest of the running group continually spurred me on. On long runs, when I grew too tired, someone would stay close until I caught my breath and felt like I could go on. When self-doubt and fear of failure threatened to engulf me, their encouragement boosted my spirit. They gave me pointers on how to get stronger and push through mental barriers that come with fatigue. They showed me that I could do more than I thought I could do. Sometimes they just distracted me with funny stories, so I didn’t focus on the difficulties I faced.

As followers of Christ, we are called to keep each other’s spirits up so no one falls behind or drops out. We can do this through attentive kindness, persistent prayer, and consistent encouragement.  

Stay close to those who are dispirited and help them recognize the Spirit within them. Keep alert to the promptings of the Spirit of God. Allow God to work through you and speak through you. Be bold--both in intercessory prayer and in sharing insights. Do not be ashamed or embarrassed to be God’s tool or His fool. Uplift those who feel dejected; encourage those who are faint of heart; cheer on those who strive to fulfill God’s purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment