streams

streams

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Purposeful Discomfort

“Fix your thoughts on what is true...” (Philippians 4:8 NLT)

When faced with uncomfortable situations, ask yourself: Is there a purpose to this discomfort? Wearing pants with a tight waistband when you are bloated has very little value. Getting a flu shot, on the other hand, may be worth the pain.  The path of suffering is not always to be avoided.

Standing up for what is good, true, and noble is rarely popular. There is bound to be some resistance. Although I often speak out against injustice, abuse, and inauthenticity, I have not yet learned to accept the discomfort that comes with it. Criticism makes me weak in the knees. I find myself drained, disoriented, and filled with self-doubt. I wonder if there is any point to what I’m doing. Wouldn’t it be easier to just go along and get along.

I may not be able to influence others, but each time I stand up for my beliefs, there is internal progress.  On the other hand, each time I allow myself to be bullied, manipulated, or shamed, I feel as if I have regressed. The older I get, the less time I have left. I can no longer afford to lose ground. Thus, I must focus on truth, not falsehoods--no matter how uncomfortable it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment