streams

streams

Friday, September 29, 2017

Perfectionism

“I'm not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ's servant.” (Galatians 1:10 NLT)

I have several bad habits; perfectionism is one of them. I tend to avoid things that I can’t do well. I’m trying to get over this. Over the last few years, I’ve intentionally set forth on several new ventures where I expose my weaknesses.

I started running long distances. As a slow, middle-aged woman with a weak bladder, this has not been easy for me.  I’ve had to get over several hang-ups. I was raised to always look presentable--but now I run without makeup and come back smelly and sweaty. I was afraid of driving in the dark, but now I drive out before sunrise to meet my early morning, running group. I definitely don’t like being the weakest member of any group, but I have had to accept that most runners are faster than me.

I used to be hesitant to speak up about my faith; I knew I wouldn’t be able to do it perfectly. Even after I started blogging about spiritual matters, I was afraid that my interpretations were incorrect, and that I may be misrepresenting Christ. I realize that my perfectionism stems from my distaste for disapproval. If I am committed to serve Christ, I can no longer be concerned about pleasing people. For God did not give me a spirit of timidity, but of power, love and sound judgment.

1 comment:

  1. As a child of God, He is smiling at your endeavours to release the perfectionism so you can move towards doing your best and forgetting the rest. Bravo. Heaven is smiling and so am I.

    ReplyDelete