streams

streams

Monday, June 18, 2018

Fear of Punishment

“Perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.” (1 John 4:18 NIV)

I believe in a God who loves us unconditionally. I can’t imagine Him as a harsh, punishing figure.  Yet, I am fearful. How can this be? If fear has to do with punishment, and perfect love drives out fear--how can I be so full of fear?

I decided I needed to unpack this incongruency in my thinking. Why am I afraid? Do I think that Jesus, who loves me enough to sacrifice Himself for me, would not take care of me?  Well, I notice that Christ was not opposed to pain and suffering. Unfortunately, I am. I believe that God is capable of solving my problems, but I wonder if He will allow me to be tested like Job in the Old Testament.  Most of the disciples of Jesus also suffered greatly; so did many of the saints who came after. I want to follow Jesus, but I don’t want to go through pain. I want to imitate a God who gave of himself completely; yet, I’m not willing to let go of safety and comfort.

When I look at life through a worldly perspective, my distaste for suffering seems quite normal. Thus, I have a hard time recognizing the hypocrisy in this viewpoint. The spirit of deception, which is what the world offers, enslaves me in anxiety--in fear of failure, loss, pain, shame, and abandonment. The Spirit of Truth, who lives in me, whispers: Do not be afraid. I am with you...especially in the suffering. Draw close to Me. Get to know me. Trust me. You will have many tribulations in this world, but you shall overcome them all by relying on Me.

“The Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world.” (1 John 4:4 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment