streams

streams

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Primetime Prayer

“Very early the next morning before daylight, Jesus got up and went to a place where he could be alone and pray.” (Mark 1:35 CEV)

I am a morning person. Most days, I wake up naturally before sunrise. I tend to be most energetic and alert during the early part of the day. This is prime time for my body and mind. Knowing this, I try to use this time carefully. I have to choose between all the things I want to do: stay in bed or get up, read, study, pray, contemplate, write, run, respond to messages online, check the news, eat, or get started with the work of the day. Whatever I choose will set the tone for the rest of my day.

Jesus chose to get up early and spend time alone in prayer. He had much to do--teaching, healing, casting out demons, feeding the multitude, listening, guiding by example; yet, He found it imperative to commune with God before anything else.

Perhaps your prime time--the hours when you are most alert and energetic--is some other part of the day. Whenever it is, use it wisely. Be careful not to fritter it away. Offer this time up to God. Lift up your heart in praise and thanksgiving. Lay everything out before the Lord. Tune your ears to listen. Focus your mind. Ask for guidance. Wait in expectation. Then, follow directions--living every moment magnifying the Lord and His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment