streams

streams

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Spirit Powered

“You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere...” (Acts 1:8 NLT)

On a breezy day, I can feel the wind on my face, I can see it moving the branches of trees, and I can hear it whistling near my ears. One of my neighbors has a decorative windmill in her yard. It isn’t hooked up to a power grid. It’s just meant to display the intensity and direction of the wind. There is a windmill farm a few hours’ drive from my home.  Giant turbines are placed at strategic elevations to capture wind energy and transform it into power. They are hooked up to generators and underground cables that channel this renewable energy into homes. These functional windmills harness the energy of the wind to provide almost 40% of our state’s generated electricity.

The Spirit of God comes upon us like the wind. Some of us feel the presence of the Holy Spirit, but it remains private, fleeting, and unproductive. Others display the Spirit’s impact on them. Like decorative windmills, their movements may attract attention, but not much more. The influence of the Holy Spirit is most effective when we are  hooked up to unseen channels that magnify and distribute this power.

Lord, may your Spirit come upon us and influence our thoughts, words, and actions. Renew us with your energy. Show us how to be conduits for Your power. Enable us to live in ways that glorify you.

No comments:

Post a Comment