streams

streams

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Opening Doors

Samuel lay down until morning and then opened the doors of the house of the LORD.” (1 Samuel 3:15 NIV)

I like opening doors for other people. I think it’s a privilege. When I am with my husband or son, I usually let them do this task, but when I am with anyone else, I am eager to step up. It’s such a small gesture, requiring no physical strength or special skill. You just have to get to the door a few steps ahead of those around you.

There is such symbolism in opening doors. I have the privilege of opening up the doors to our detached studio where our Bible Study group meets. I get there before everyone else. There are two doors to open; both have locks that require codes that only I know. I would gladly share the codes, but no one has asked me for them. After I unlock the doors, I leave them partially open for the rest of our group. I turn on all the overhead lights, light a candle, and pray until everyone arrives. I find this ritual deeply satisfying.

During Bible study, I have the opportunity to open more doors. I get to share insights that God has revealed to me. All that is required of me is a little extra time, patience, and contemplation. God gives me the code to unlock the doors to His Word. I get there a few minutes ahead of others and turn on the lights. I take this responsibility seriously. It is a privilege to get a sneak peak at God’s treasures and then share them with others. I am deeply honored to be a doorman and tour guide at the Lord’s mansion.  

“I'm asking God for one thing, only one thing: To live with him in his house my whole life long. I'll contemplate his beauty; I'll study at his feet.” (Psalm 27:4 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment