streams

streams

Friday, June 15, 2018

Lean In and Listen

“Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.” (1 Samuel 3:9 NIV)

I like to observe people’s nonverbal interactions, especially at restaurants. When I see couples or friends that lean in and maintain eye contact during conversation, I know they are interested in what the other person is saying. On the other hand, when I see groups where some are looking around, checking their phones, drumming their fingers to the background music, fidgeting with their food, then I figure they are only partially checked-in to the conversation, and they are distracted.

I have trouble listening when there is any sort of distraction. Visual, auditory, kinesthetic, or emotional noise can break my focus. Here are a few examples. If I am driving, walking, or eating while someone is talking, it takes me longer to process what they are saying, because my mind is partially occupied by what I am doing. If something catches my eye while I’m trying to listen, my attention gets easily diverted. If there is any background music, sound, or conversation--my brain gets pulled in multiple directions. If I am feeling unwell or emotional, my mind pulls all the shutters down to take care of itself. Thus, I try to be conscious of external stimuli. I put on earplugs to block out noise, including music, TV, chatter, etc. I also lean in and maintain eye contact when I’m listening to someone talking.

I use similar techniques with spiritual stimuli. When I am bombarded with feelings of fear, doubt, and despair, I recognize them as lies from the Enemy. These thoughts are meant to distract, so I block them with the shield of trust. I reach for the Word of God. My soul whispers: speak, Lord.  I fix my eyes on God. I lean in. I listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment