streams

streams

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Indirect Communicators

“We open up our souls to you by presenting the truth to everyone’s conscience in the sight and presence of God.” (2 Corinthians 4:2 TPT)

I believe in opening my soul and presenting truth to everyone. I am a direct communicator; thus, I have a tendency to verbalize my feelings and thoughts even before I finish processing them. Not everyone is like me, and that is okay.  Indirect communicators tend to convey their emotions nonverbally. Sometimes they have difficulty understanding and expressing feelings. 

Indirect communicators used to confuse me. I wasn’t sure if I could trust them, because they were so hard to read. Were they sneaky or just introverted? Sometimes it took years to understand them. Once I assess that someone is indirect but not manipulative, I try to learn their language. I pay attention to their facial cues, sighs, and eyes. I listen to their pauses--to what is left unsaid. I repeatedly explain my direct approach so as not to offend them. All this takes effort. Yet, like learning any new language, it helps me grow and understand others who are different.

No comments:

Post a Comment