streams

streams

Monday, November 18, 2019

Crossing Guards

“How tragic it is for the one who is all alone when he falls. There is no one to help him get up.” (Ecclesiastes 4:10 GWT)

I had been running for hours attempting to finish my first 50 km trail race. The hardest part of the course was yet to come--the dreaded water crossing. I was tired and disoriented. I heard the waterfall before I saw it. It was time to face my fear. With wobbly legs and a quaking heart, I turned the last corner, and there stood my friend Molly in the middle of the rushing water.  She had volunteered to be the guardian at the waterfall--helping all the runners across the treacherous spillway. She held my hand and told me where to place each foot. The icy water rushed into my shoes; yet, with each step, my fear became less. I knew that even if I slipped, Molly would help me get up. 

Life is full of such crossings: from fear into fearlessness, from weakness to strength, from bondage to freedom, from insecurity to confidence. The road is rough and the moral pitfalls are many.  There will be times when we feel stuck, confused, disoriented, tired, and lost. If we stumble and fall, it helps to have someone nearby who will lift us up. Likewise, we can be a steadying influence for our companions as long as we don’t lose our own sense of balance and drag others down with us.  Be dependable. Surround yourselves with those who are honest and supportive. Help each other across treacherous patches, extending wisdom and encouragement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment