streams

streams

Friday, November 22, 2019

Self-Respect

“Clothed in strength and dignity, with nothing to fear...” (Proverbs 31:25 VOICE) 

I’ve heard of women who take the time to brush their hair and put lotion on their hands before going to sleep every night. I used to think this was the epitome of self-care. I never developed a regular routine for skin, hair, or nail care. Because of this, I thought of myself as a self-care slacker. Yet, a friend pointed out that I was disciplined in physical exercise, purposeful in my relationships, careful about maintaining boundaries, attentive to my mental and emotional health, and intentional in my spirituality. Thus, I was not a complete slouch in this area. 

The line between self-indulgence and self-care can be hard to distinguish. When the wants and needs of others outweigh our individual wants and needs, taking care of ourselves can feel selfish. Those who are sensitive to the burdens of others tend to be self-sacrificing, while those who are indifferent are able to indulge every whim without qualms. 

I have always admired those who can balance selflessness and self-respect. When we are honest with ourselves, we honor ourselves. When we challenge delusions and refuse to accept false narratives, we learn to be true to ourselves. This leads to an expansion of our spirit, enabling us to extend healthy respect to others. Clothed in strength and dignity, we see ourselves and others with unflinching clarity. This self-respect is the epitome of self-care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment