streams

streams

Monday, November 11, 2019

Living in Flow

“For God will never give you the spirit of fear, but the Holy Spirit who gives you mighty power, love, and self-control.” (2 Timothy 1:7 TPT)

Yesterday, I was running up a steep hill against strong wind resistance. It took a lot of effort, and progress was slow. I tried to encourage myself as usual: God has not given me a spirit of timidity--but of power, love, and self-discipline. Yet, it didn’t ring true. Fear was running my life. I saw myself as weak and nervous in a world full of uncertainty, instability, and danger. It took every ounce of energy I had to make it up that hill. On the way back, I ran down the hill with the wind at my back. I repeated the same verse, but somehow the words got jumbled in my head as I tumbled down the hill. You, Lord, have not given me a spirit of fear or timidity--instead, You have given me YOUR SPIRIT of boldness, courage, fearlessness, power, passion, and self-discipline. I felt like I was flowing down the hill. Now, both activities required me to show up, to move my feet, and to persevere--but gravity and wind made the downhill run easier. 

When we operate in our own power, it is similar to running uphill against the wind. Every step is laborious and draining. However, when we operate in the flow of the Holy Spirit, we are not depending on our default settings. We don’t even have to take stock of the gifts we possess. We are accessing energy that is beyond our little spirit. God has transplanted HIS SPIRIT within us. This is the source of true boldness, courage, power, passion, and self-discipline. Yet, we must show up and participate attentively, allowing the Holy Spirit to influence our thoughts, emotions, speech, and actions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment