streams

streams

Friday, May 22, 2020

Discipline and Corrections

“If you love learning, you love the discipline that goes with it—how shortsighted to refuse correction!” (Proverbs 12:1 MSG)
I love learning. I can be somewhat disciplined when I set my mind to it. However, I DO NOT like correction. When someone tells me something I would rather not hear, my first reaction is annoyance. Even when I sense there is truth in what they say, I respond defensively. I don’t like change, and correction involves a shift in perspective and trajectory. 
Recently I was going about business as usual when a friend suggested a course correction. She challenged me to reconsider my status quo. I was not pleased. I stomped my feet and had a private tantrum. Then, within a few hours, another friend mentioned the same thing. Now I was annoyed at both of them. Yet, I knew I had to consider what they said. I sat with the discomfort. I prayed. I asked God for guidance. I tentatively, reluctantly, turned from the familiar trajectory on to a new path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment