streams

streams

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Gratitude Rush

“Be thankful in all circumstances.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18 GNT)
I go through my morning routine mindlessly--wake up, brush my teeth, wash my face, put on chapstick, get a large mug of coffee, and sit down with my Bible and journal. This morning, as I reached for my lip balm, a sudden rush of gratitude washed over me. I noticed all the little luxuries that I take for granted: a soft bed, blankets, pillows, a private bathroom, toothpaste, hot water, soap, towels, coffee, books, journals, pencils,  morning silence, time to think, read, and write, a secure home...
As the day went on, there was the usual stream of bad news--loved ones going through difficult times, social injustice, political corruption, and global suffering. Normally this would be enough to make me moody, but not today. Like a leaf buoyed by a fountain of water,  an involuntary rush of gratitude kept my spirits up. I continually thanked God in every circumstance. I was able to find some speck of goodness in everything today. I pray that this perspective of gratitude remains with me…

No comments:

Post a Comment