streams

streams

Friday, September 25, 2020

Are You Exhausted?


“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28-30 MSG)


Yesterday, my husband moved a few chairs from our back porch to our front yard. He placed the chairs under a large maple tree, but positioned them in an unusual angle--facing our house rather than the street. As we sat and looked back at our house as the sun was setting, we realized that we had never paid attention to our home from this particular vantage point. 


Whenever I feel tired and on the verge of burning out, I go to chapter 11 of the Gospel of Matthew. God teaches me something different every few years--positioning me in various angles so that I can gain new perspectives. I read the verse yesterday morning but got nothing new out of it. I acknowledged that I was exhausted and my soul craved rest. God’s yoke sounded like an extra burden on top of all that I was already carrying. How could that be light? 


As long as I insist on having my way and asking God to assist me while I pursue my agenda--the struggle becomes too much to bear. I push and pull. I toil until I am weary. I expend all my energy. When things don’t work out as I planned, I feel defeated.  


This morning, I read the verses again. I walked around my yard mumbling it to myself. I imagined Christ and me joined closely, working in unison, plowing up the ground like two oxen yoked together. But it has to be God’s agenda that we are working on, not our own. This is what makes the burden lighter. 


When we partner with Christ, we don’t have to figure out everything on our own. He shoulders our burden because it is HIS burden as well. His strength and guidance drive us forward. When we yield to His purposes, we live freely and lightly. The rhythms of grace are unforced but not unfocused. Following Christ requires intentional attention and concentrated effort. 




No comments:

Post a Comment