streams

streams

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Guided Walks


“He will lead you in the way that you should go. When you feel dried up and worthless, God will nourish you and give you strength.” (Isaiah 58:11 VOICE)


We got a new puppy a few weeks ago. Every day I walk him around our acreage in a circle. He stops to sniff and chew on everything in our path. I don’t rush him since this is how puppies learn. However, when we are about three-fourths of the way around the acre, the puppy suddenly realizes he is tired and decides he wants to get back home. He starts pulling me back the way we came. I try telling him we are almost done, we just need to move forward a few more steps. But the puppy doesn’t understand my words or trust me yet. He trusts his sense of smell and his instincts. I gently tug at his leash to nudge him forward. As he gets closer to the familiar surroundings of our covered porch and his outdoor water bowl, he finally recognizes that I was leading him the right way all along. But tomorrow the puppy will forget and repeat the whole process again. 


My walk with God is not all that different. He guides my steps, leading me according to His purposes. My desire to taste and experience everything that life has to offer drives me to distraction.  The Lord is patient and generous. He lets me take my time to learn and grow. Sometimes I feel tired, overwhelmed, drained, worthless, and hopeless. During these phases, I want to pull back, regress, and depend on my own instincts. God nudges me forward. He encourages me to trust him. He reminds me of His dependability and wisdom. I follow Him in faith. 



No comments:

Post a Comment