streams

streams

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Energy Management


“I work hard and struggle to do this, using the energy that he powerfully provides in me.” (Colossians 1:29 ISV)

There is no shortage of information and tools available for the management of time. Time is easily measured, and we all have a set amount of it each day. Tools like calendars and timers, as well as techniques that remind us to schedule, plan, and organize our tasks are ubiquitous. Unlike time, personal energy is hard to measure and manage. I wear an advanced running watch that measures my activity, heart rate, sleep, etc. It estimates my energy usage based on these parameters and displays it as a percentage using a battery icon. While this infographic is interesting, the numbers do not match how I really feel. This is because there are many non-measurable aspects to vitality. Emotional stress, genetics, lifestyle, health, and a myriad of other factors lead to people having unequal amounts of energy. Since it is harder to measure energy drainage or even how much each individual has, there are very few tools or techniques to manage personal energy. 

Both time and energy are gifts from God, and we have a responsibility to use them wisely. Although we all have 24 hours each day, none of us knows how many days we have left in our life. Thus, each day must be cherished. The amount of energy God provides me with seems to be a little less with each passing year. I am learning to manage every bit of it carefully.  I have recognized that my mind and body work the best in the morning. I also know from experience that my brain starts shutting down in the evenings. Thus, I try to schedule most of my intense activities earlier in the day and plan passive tasks for the evenings. I also do regular power audits--scanning my routines for leaks. I try to reduce habits that unnecessarily drain strength and keep the ones that renew energy.

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment