streams

streams

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Three Prayers


“May you experience God’s favor and rest in the peace that comes from the One who is, the One who was, and the One who is coming; from the seven Spirits, the Perfect Spirit, constantly before God’s throne; and from Jesus the Anointed, the Witness who is true and faithful.” (Revelation 1:4-5 VOICE)

Growing up Catholic, I was taught to recite memorized prayers. In group and private settings, I found comfort in the familiar words of the Lord’s prayer and the Hail Mary. When I started hanging out with more Protestants, I became more spontaneous with my prayers. I learned to be conversational with God--asking for specific needs and reminding God of His promises with scripture references. When praying out loud in the presence of others, I felt the need to speak in complete sentences that made sense to all who were listening. Whether memorized or spontaneous, my prayers had some things in common: there were a lot of words and details. I already knew what I wanted; I just needed God’s help in executing my plans. 

These days, I pray privately. Just me and God--one on One. My praying has changed. There are fewer words, fewer details, fewer memorized passages, less reminders to God. I have three favorite prayers, three single words that match my breath: Yahweh, Yeshua, Ruah.

These three words encapsulate everything.

Yahweh--the One who was, the One who is, and the One who is coming.

Yeshua--Jesus the Anointed, the Witness who is true and faithful. 

Ruah--the Holy Spirit, the essence of all the attributes and characteristics of God.

God does not need me to explain all the details and come up with my own solutions. I have learned to speak less and listen more. The three prayers are meant to remind me of truths: Yahweh is in charge. Yeshua is trustworthy. Ruah permeates everything. All I have to do is just breathe and remain aware.

Yahweh. Yeshua. Ruah.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment