streams

streams

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Cleaning Light Fixtures

It’s time to clean my light fixtures again. It’s a big job, and I’ve been putting it off. Dust and dead bugs shroud the opaque glass. As I look up at the fixtures, I wonder why most of them are frosted and not transparent. I call my friend who is an expert at such things. She tells me that people prefer opaque fixtures, because they reduce glare and create more ambient lighting. Clear light fixtures allow more light to shine through but also have a tendency to cast shadows. Oh, and dust and dead bugs are easily apparent through the transparent glass.

“Jesus once again addressed them: “I am the world’s Light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in.” (John 8:12 MSG)

“Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.” (James 1:17 NLT)

Yet most of us prefer a filtered version of God’s light. We don’t like the shadows or the glare that comes along with the clear light. So we choose opaque fixtures that diffuse this light to ambient levels. We opt for a life of distorted truth. We never stop to question why we choose to live under frosted fixtures that alter God’s light.  Over the years, the dust builds up, further obscuring our ability to see clearly.
It’s time to clean the light fixtures.

No comments:

Post a Comment