streams

streams

Monday, December 16, 2013

Inheritance

“But Moses gave no inheritance to the tribe of Levi. God, the God of Israel, is their inheritance, just as he told them.” (Joshua 13:32-33 MSG)

Imagine a rich man (for example, Warren Buffet) decides to divide his assets among his children. Let’s say he allots all his stocks to one son, all his insurance companies to another son, all his overseas holdings to a third son, and then he tells his daughter: “You don’t need an inheritance. You get to stay with me and take care of my personal needs and affairs. Oh, and maybe I’ll leave you this house.”

I bet that daughter is going to feel a bit gypped!

However, if the daughter’s love for the Father eclipsed her desire for worldly gain, then she would be pleased with her portion. She would think: Let my brothers have all the businesses; I get to spend time with Dad!

I don’t personally know anyone who would think this way! If I were that daughter, I’m more likely to think: “You gotta be kidding me! Do you think I have no life apart from YOU? Well, I do! You must not think much of me. I’m just as capable as my brothers. I’ll show you!”

Unfortunately, most of us don’t realize the value of our portion. Spending time with God, getting to know Him, studying at His feet, attending to His wishes, and enjoying His presence—this is the most worthwhile of all allotments.

“The one thing I ask of the LORD--the thing I seek most--is to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, delighting in the LORD's perfections and meditating in his Temple.”(Psalm 27:4 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment