streams

streams

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Standing Up to Bullies

Most of us have dealt with bullies during our school years. I never stood up to them; instead, I just tried to stay away from them as much as possible. Even as an adult, I use the same strategy. I find it easier to avoid bullies than to stand up to them. Grown-up bullying usually involves mental manipulation and coercion. Bullying is mostly about competing for power. When you allow someone to mess with your mind, you give them power over you.

Although I usually try to steer clear of bullies, I tend to get confrontational when I see them attacking someone I love. My claws come out, and I get really defensive. Trust me, you DO NOT want to mess with me when I unleash my inner b@#ch!

It’s really hard to stand by and watch someone picking on your kid or your spouse or your friend. I have several friends who are just sweet through and through. Bullies frequently abuse their generosity, kindness, tolerance, and grace. And, just like the school-yard bullies, the situation gets worse over time. Continuous disrespect will eventually wear even the most confident person down.

Now…if it bothers me so much when bullies mess with my loved ones, I’m sure it bothers God too. I know most parents would step in when siblings pick on each other. A loving parent would not ask us to tolerate abuse. And our Father is a good parent.

“How exquisite your love, O God! How eager we are to run under your wings…Keep on loving your friends; do your work in welcoming hearts. Don’t let the bullies kick me around; the moral midgets slap me down. Send the upstarts sprawling flat on their faces in the mud.” (Psalm 36:7-12 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment