streams

streams

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Laziness

I am absolutely afraid of laziness. I wonder if my fear stems from being perceived as unproductive by others or from an internal drive to be useful. I suspect it’s the latter, because I have this urgency to be industrious even when I’m all by myself. I am a risk-averse rebel. I am reluctant to conform to societal expectations—which can be risky. Yet, paradoxically, I’m resistant to change. I am most efficient when I follow a routine. I don’t like disruptions to my external circumstances, but I am constantly striving for internal transformation. I am ambitious, but not in the traditional sense. I am motivated by things unseen, yet apathetic about acquisitions and achievements.

 “Live your life as your spiritual nature directs you. Then you will never follow through on what your corrupt nature wants. What your corrupt nature wants is contrary to what your spiritual nature wants, and what your spiritual nature wants is contrary to what your corrupt nature wants. They are opposed to each other. As a result, you don't always do what you intend to do. If your spiritual nature is your guide, you are not subject to Moses' laws. (Gal. 5:16-18 GWT)

Back then, Moses’ laws were accepted as the primary code of conduct—the rules and regulations that everyone was expected to follow. Not much has changed. Even now, there is a deep, internal conflict between our spiritual nature and our corrupted nature. Our corrupted nature wants to pursue self-interests, to follow societal expectations, to conform and be accepted. Our spiritual nature wants to go in the opposite direction.

I want to be motivated by God, not by other humans. What would laziness look like from God’s perspective?

A lethargic relationship with HIM? A lack of intensity and passion for HIM? Succumbing to the natural instinct to follow the herd, instead of pursuing HIM?

I’m not sure, but I think spiritual laziness is more detrimental than worldly passivity. I have a nagging suspicion that being God-motivated is the key to meaningful productivity.

3 comments:

  1. In my life I believe God is LOVE. He has no judgement. He is a forgiver like he would like all His children to be. I am a very spiritual being because I live my life with prayer and with a deeper sense of Spirtuality because God has given me the tools to love myself and others and to spread the love to others so they may learn to love themselves and others.

    You can have religion without spirituality. You can say your prayers every day, go to church on Sunday but that doesn't make you a Spiritual being. You have to practice what you preach and learn to forgive like God forgives. God never asked Moses to put on that tablet. Thou shalt anger, kill for anyone who does not believe in me. Humans did that.

    You can do yoga and meditate every day but this does not make you a Spiritual being.

    "Being a spiritual person is synonymous with being a person whose highest priority is to be loving to oneself and others. A spiritual person cares about people, animals, and the planet. A spiritual person knows that we are all One, and consciously attempts to honor this Oneness. A spiritual person is a kind person." Lindsay Wagner.

    This is in my humble opinion of Spirituality and therefore I disagree with " If your spiritual nature is your guide, you are not subject to Moses' laws. (Gal. 5:16-18 GWT)" I am most definitely subject Moses' laws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Message translation might have been a better choice:
      "My counsel is this: Live freely, animated and motivated by God’s Spirit. Then you won’t feed the compulsions of selfishness. For there is a root of sinful self-interest in us that is at odds with a free spirit, just as the free spirit is incompatible with selfishness. These two ways of life are antithetical, so that you cannot live at times one way and at times another way according to how you feel on any given day. Why don’t you choose to be led by the Spirit and so escape the erratic compulsions of a law-dominated existence?" (Gal 5:16-18 MSG)
      Or the NLT-- "But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses."
      Hope that clears things up.

      Delete
    2. I apologize for my post in public for not reading the script right. It makes much more sense. I missed the word "not" and that is my huge mistake for posting before reading it again. ~ laura1952 I am not sure why the reply is "Anonymous"

      Delete