streams

streams

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Whatever

These days, the term, ‘whatever’ is frequently used to connote a dismissive, derisive, indifferent attitude. For example:
A parent tells a teenager: “Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today.”
Teenager responds: “Whatever!”
A few years ago, I developed this ‘whatever’ attitude towards God. I felt like God was not really going along with my plans, so I might as well give up, throw my hands up in exasperation, and exclaim ‘Whatever Lord!’ This was as close to surrendering as I could get!
There are certain things that I feared and dreaded. I wasn’t eager to embrace these situations, even if it was God’s will for me. Jesus also experienced these feelings of dread before suffering. Thus it must be part of the human condition. Yet, Jesus overcame these emotions and submitted to the Father’s will—which was NOT whatever other humans wanted or expected.
Recently, I noticed a slight shift in my prayers. I have been asking God to change my attitude: Grant me whatever I need--to do whatever YOU want, Lord. Equip me, strengthen me, so that I may do Your will.
I’m still not eager to do God’s will, but neither am I filled with dread at the prospect. The tone of my ‘whatever’ has changed to one of less exasperation and more acceptance.


No comments:

Post a Comment