streams

streams

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Complacency

I’m pretty good at exercising. I’ve read a lot of fitness books and watched a lot of videos. I do different kinds of exercises daily.  If a new fitness fad comes along, I will check it out--just to keep up with new trends. I’m not saying I know it all, but I know everything I want to know about it. Overall, fitness is one of those areas about which I feel confident...maybe even smug.

We all have areas of perceived expertise. Maybe you are a master gardener or chef, or a whiz at finances or technology, or a talented artist, or an expert in your field of work. You are ready to accept new information, as long as it fits in with your pre-existing ideas. If some amateur tries to instruct you about this topic, you smile patiently while trying not to roll your eyes at them. It’s like the one room in your house that you wouldn’t need to consult an interior designer about, because it is already decorated to your satisfaction. Unfortunately, confidence in our mastery can mutate into complacency. We decide we don’t need any external input in this area, not even from God.

“Fools are destroyed by their own complacency.” (Proverbs 1:32 NLT)

What are the areas of your life into which you rarely invite God--the zones of complacency where you rarely feel needy? Don’t be complacent; take nothing for granted. Remind yourself that every blessing is from God, including your competence in certain areas. Consult God, invite Him in.

“For the Lord grants wisdom!” (Proverbs 2:6 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment