streams

streams

Friday, January 2, 2015

Messy Candles

I bought some LED candles recently. They are battery powered, so they are safer and less messy than real candles. The LED candles are mostly for decoration though. I use wax candles every morning during prayer time. I have a small collection of candle holders of various shapes, sizes, and textures. I place the same kind of candle in each of them, but they each emit light in different ways. The real candles are messy--they melt unevenly and stick to the candle holder; their wicks need trimming; the smoke leaves black streaks on surfaces. If left unattended, they can be a fire hazard.

“You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world.” (Matthew 5:15 MSG)

I want to bring light to the world, but I don’t like all the messy melting and burning that is involved. Most days, I  would rather be like these modern, decorative, LED candles--no mess, no fuss, no fire.

Yet, God continually reminds me that I must be a real candle--burning with fire that requires attention, melting and sticking to my surroundings, bringing warmth as well as light, and releasing my aroma as I shrink to nothingness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment