streams

streams

Monday, January 26, 2015

Spiritual Insecurity

“Anxiety is a mark of spiritual insecurity.” (Thomas Merton)

Anxiety stems from a lack of confidence in God’s love and care. When I am anxious, I am essentially saying:

God, I’m not sure you want the best for me or for my loved ones. I don’t trust your intentions or your plans. Your timing is off. You are not dependable. Maybe worldly solutions are better than waiting for You to act.

As I type these words out, I sense the fallacy in them. Fear and anxiety are based on erroneous beliefs; They come from faithlessness in a faithful God.

When we are driven by fear and anxiety, we are being influenced by lies.

The alternative is to operate from Truth:

God, I am sure You desire the highest good for all. Your timing is perfect, even though I don’t understand it. You have shown that you are dependable. Your solutions are always better than any worldly human strategies. I trust you.

No comments:

Post a Comment