streams

streams

Friday, January 16, 2015

Grow into It

When my son was younger, I used to buy him clothes that were a few sizes too big for him. I would just save them until he grew to that size. Now, I do the same thing with information. I recommend books and send him links to websites that contain wisdom for which he is not yet ready.

When I find anything that inspires me, I am tempted to pass it along to others--even when I know that they might be at a different stage of life. I am also eager to share the lessons I have learned and the mistakes I have made.
Here are a few things I wish someone had told me when I was younger:

True value is often hidden deep within. It is difficult to measure and, thus, often unrecognized by the world.

The pursuit of pleasure, ambition, prestige, amusement, or wealth does not necessarily lead to a meaningful life.

Love brings sorrow as well as joy.  Adversity can bring growth as well as pain.

Use your intuition. Learn to distinguish between sincere and insincere people. Invest in authenticity. Do not spend your limited  time or energy on counterfeit truths.

I realize I might not have been ready for these lessons back then. Yet, maybe if I had had some clue of what to expect, I would have recognized the common traps before I fell into them. I would have felt less alone, knowing I was not the only one who made these dumb mistakes.  

I appreciate people who share their experiences with me, who prepare me for what is to come. I may not be able to use this information right now, but I hope to grow into it.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I enjoyed your great way of putting it when you said you may not need the information now, but you hope to grow into it. We should all live our lives like this.

    ReplyDelete