streams

streams

Friday, January 23, 2015

Representatives

About a year ago, a Culver’s restaurant in Platteville, Wisconsin (near Madison), burned down. The insurance company paid the employees’ salaries for up to 60 days, but it took over six months to rebuild the restaurant. After the insurance company payments ran out, the owner of the restaurant paid the employees out of his own pocket (roughly $180,000 for 40 employees) for the next four months. He only asked one thing in return: that those who were able, would volunteer their time for community service. Many of the employees put on their Culver’s uniforms and did a variety of community service projects while the restaurant was being rebuilt.

This story is uplifting on so many levels. The owner’s generosity and care for his employees is heartwarming. The employees who put on their uniforms to do community service are inspiring. I think this is a good example of how God’s grace works. Grace cannot be earned, but it can be spread. When we claim to be followers of Christ, it’s like wearing a uniform with a logo--we are representing something bigger than ourselves. How we conduct ourselves affects not only our own reputation, but also that of the One we represent.

My daily behavior does not always represent Christ. Mostly it reflects my flawed self. This needs to change, yet I cannot do it on my own. I pray that the Grace that dwells in me, works through me.

"My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.” (2 Corinthians 12:9 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment