streams

streams

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Small Steps

Clarity is elusive. Certainty is rare. Although it is tempting to remain stagnant when we are unsure of our path, we must take small steps. Or else we can get mired in self-doubt, confusion, and aimlessness.
 
The kind of small steps we take, the direction in which we go, and our pace are all highly individual. Here are a few examples of the small steps that I take when I am unsure of how to proceed:

-Praying (This includes thanksgiving, trust, and meditating on Scripture)
-Taking care of self (basic hygiene, nutrition, rest, exercise, grooming)
-Caring for dependents (This includes anyone who relies on me--my child, my husband, my dog, my friends, even my plants)
-Working toward small, reachable goals.
Uncertainty saps confidence. Even small accomplishments can reverse this downward spiral. In my late 20’s, I had very little control over certain aspects of my life, but I still had control of my body. I was not athletic--when attempting to jog in my neighborhood, I couldn’t even run from one lamp post to the next without getting winded. So that became my goal. Once I was able to run the space of one lamp post, I aimed for higher and higher mileage goals. It took me 17 years to reach my goal of running a half-marathon. Running didn’t solve my issues, but accomplishing small goals strengthened me physically and mentally.

During times of uncertainty, our natural tendency is to focus on the chaos and disorder--on what is out of our control, on what can’t be changed, on our powerlessness. This leads to despondency and stagnation. If your life is in turmoil, don’t sink into despair. Take small steps out of the mess. When in darkness, even the tiniest spark of light can be tranformational.

No comments:

Post a Comment