streams

streams

Thursday, April 2, 2015

God as Parent

“O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, and you are the potter. We all are formed by your hand.” (Isaiah 64:8 NLT)

I felt neglected as a child and browbeaten as a young adult. Even now, as a middle-aged woman, I am still dealing with the ramifications. I have tried to take care of my Inner Child, but my Inner Parent is critical and demanding. I scold myself for unproductivity and self-indulgence. I cover myself in guilt and shame. I have difficulty being gentle, nurturing, and accepting of myself.  Yes, I am a malformed, dysfunctional vessel.

God is the Real Parent, while earthly parents are merely foster parents. The Lord has always watched over me, even when I wasn’t aware of His presence. He was always close by, making up for the deficiencies of earthly parents. So, I ask God to repair me by re-parenting me. God is the potter and I am the clay. Even though I am deformed, He can reform me.

I too am an inadequate parent. So I ask God to take over and re-parent my child as well. I pray that my child will be reshaped and restored according to God’s intended purposes.

3 comments:

  1. I pray for you as well to believe that God knows you are doing what he has expected of you as a Mother. He knows none of us are perfect parents and why we can turn to him for guidance to better ourselves, not to judge ourselves.

    ReplyDelete